Friday, March 20, 2009

When your plans get messed up, make new ones!

I had a whole plan for today. I knew I didn't have time to exercise at the gym so the plan was to bike to my clinic (10 miles roundtrip, 7-8 APs) instead. I would also (as usual) bring my own lunch and snacks. This would allow me to be satisfied while eating just half of my allotted daily points so I could enjoy my dinner out with friends tonight without guilt and have a good weigh in tomorrow.



The problems started yesterday. I biked to my clinic for the first time yesterday and just when I was about 5 minutes away got a flat tire in the rear tire. I was luckily a few blocks from the subway and was able to make it in on time, but not without incident. When I got to the subway I realized that in switching bags I had forgotten to bring my wallet. So I was stranded without a wallet and a non working bike. I managed to beg the subway operator to let me on. At clinic, I borrowed money to get home and had to walk the bike for 2 miles. This of couse cut my expected APs from 8 that day to 4, and from 8 the next day to zero. It was lovely.



So half of this morning's plan was shot already: no exercise today. Still, last night I was determined to eat well today. I made a great lunch: whole wheat couscous with a veggie and tofu stirfry. DF made me breakfast (light english muffin with hummus) and I packed a banana and 2 small light yogurts as snacks. A total of about 10 points that would've kept me very satisfied till dinner at 8pm. Well, you might be able to guess what happened: I left all of that at home, along with my monthly subway pass.



It's in these kinds of situations that it's most important to stay positive. It would be easy to throw in the towel today and eat whatever. I tried so hard to be good and it seems the universe is against me. But I think exactly at these moments is when we have to remember that even if it feels differently, we are still in control. I can still make good choices. Even in less-than-ideal circumstances, there is opportunity to do well and to not give up. Throwing in the towell today might not technically undo a whole week's worth of work, but I know that if I did, mentally I would have left the plan.



So I say to the universe who appears to be trying to ruin my week: you will not succeed.

update: I went to the one little convenience store near the clinic and spent $20 buying healthy food: a fiber bread, banana and tangerines, two yogurts, and an Amy's low fat split pea soup in a can. About 10 points for the day and I think it should satisfy me.

No comments: