Monday, May 5, 2008

Setting weight loss goals ("I want to lose x pounds by x date")

I just don't believe in them. I think a few people will reach these goals, if they're realistic (within 0.5-2 pounds per week on average). But most people will be disappointed that they won't have lost enough, that halfway through their months of trying to lose they are "behind" in reaching their goal. Lots of those people will quit.

It's just so unnecessary. When I started losing, I had a dream that I would be down 50 pounds in one year (at a healthy average weight loss of 0.96 pounds per week). However, I figured that even if I lost 26 pounds that whole year (1/2 pound per week on average), I would be a lot lighter than I was the year before. Frankly, I was just thankful not to be gaining! It took me a little bit over thirteen months to get to 50 pounds, and it has been very slow since then.

I think the best goals you can set as you're trying to lose weight are the ones you can control. Things like: I will exercise 3xs this week, or I will get 8 servings of fruits and veggies each day this week, or I will drink 96 oz of water each day this week. We know that if we do these things our body eventually will drop the pounds, but we really have no control over how fast that happens.

Whenever I see people posting that they have a particular # of pounds to lose by a certain date, I think, I hope you're the one person who doesn't quit way before that, or who doesn't get there then gain it all back, but that's what will happen to the majority of people who are in such a hurry to lose weight that they gained over years and years of bad habits.

Okay, off my soap box now. Here are some pictures I just took, wearing the size 16 Gap jeans I wore to my very first Weight Watchers meeting (and boy were they tight then!)


No comments: