Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Endurance training and marathons

Some part of me really wants to do a marathon someday. But I've decided that I won't be training for one until I am at a weight I am happy with. So many people on the Weight Watchers boards train for marathons while still trying to lose weight.

They think (and why wouldn't they, it only makes sense) that they will lose even more weight (or at least continue losing) while training. But what seems to be the universal consensus is the complete opposite -- when you train for an endurance race like a marathon, your body will just not let go of the weight.

It seems so counterintuitive. But in a way, it makes some sense, running 10+ miles is crazy on the body, no wonder it doesn't want to let go of anything.

My friends wanted me to do a marathon in October with them, but I had to pass. I decided two things -- I won't do a full marathon until I've done a half, and I won't start training for that until I've gotten below my goal by 5 pounds (so 130) because then I'll be able to firm up and gain a few pounds of muscle. As soon as I hit my WW goal of 135 I'll start looking for a half marathon at least 3-4 months away so that I have a chance to drop 5 more pounds and start training.

1 comment:

KB said...

I have been struggling with this decision for awhile too. I've run 4 half-marathons but really want just one full on my life's accomplishment list. It is super hard to lose while training! It's difficult to find the balance of food to activity level. Plus running with less pounds on your body has to be easier :)
Good Luck when you find your half! I think even the decision to 'want' to run in a race is a victory :)