Tuesday, August 12, 2008

That maddening scale: weighing yourself everyday

I think it's important not to let the scale dictate your mood--especially if you're a daily weigher like me. I usually weigh in twice: in the morning before I've had anything to drink/eat, and in the evening before going to bed, both in the buff. It's interesting to compare the numbers (usually different by 2-3 pounds). I generally don't let it affect me, it's just information in this journey.

There was a period of time when I started freaking out about my gains every morning, but then I started to get back on program and started to see losses. Again -- just feedback, information. Sometimes a little delayed, sometimes wrong (like during TOM or after really salty food, etc.).

This morning the scale was at 138.6. I can't help but be happy. I haven't been that low since the summer program started, and while my body fat is much higher than it used to be at that weight (that's what two months of almost no weight training will get you), I'm still happy.

Now it's Tuesday--that number may not remain there on Saturday when it counts. But, I know it gives me a renewed inspiration to remain on program this week, so that I do see that number or one like it on Saturday. So even though it's pouring outside, and I have a ton of work to do inside, I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to work out today, how I'm going to continue on this path of losing ... Again, it's just information, but it can be very nice information to have :)

Update: I kept the inspiration of the morning with me today. Went for a 3.5 mile run to earn 4 APs and dipped into just .5 of my flexies. Four days left and I've got 22.5 WPA left and I've already earned 13 APs. And I'm tracking again! :)

1 comment:

KB said...

I'm a daily weigher too...I just can't help it :)
Congrats on the awesome number today!